Monday, December 19, 2016

My LCHF Jamacian Barbecue Sauce




This is the barbecue sauce that I use when I want to add the flavor of Jamaica to my meals. This sauce is not a high fat sauce, but you could add 1 - 2 tablespoons of butter to not only increase the fat content, but to give the sauce an even smoother taste and greater “mouth feel”. I use this sauce primarily on grilled chicken (yes with the skin on) when I do not have the time to marinate the chicken overnight in my jerk marinade. I also use it on hamburger patties whenever we cook them on the grill. In addition, it is a great sauce for ribs and other meats as well.

Traditionally jerk sauce is made with scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, in this recipe I use cayenne pepper giving it a milder tastes so that my wife can enjoy the sauce as well since she is not quite the chili head that I am. If you like your sauce to have a little more kick, then please use a scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, or you can increase the cayenne pepper to suit your tastes. For a milder kick add a minced jalapeño or two (0.9 carbs for a medium to large jalapeño) in place of the habanero or scotch bonnet pepper.


LCHF Jerk BBQ Sauce Yield (23 tablespoons)

8 ounces tomato sauce
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Jerk Seasoning
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or ½ scotch bonnet pepper
1 drop liquid sucralose or 1 teaspoon granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper

In a medium saucepan combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Remove sauce from heat and cool before bottling in jar or plastic bottle.

Total Recipe – Calories 120.8, protein 2.57, fat 0.36 grams, carbohydrates 17.8 grams
Per Tablespoon – Calories 5.25, protein 0.11 grams fat 0.01 grams, carbs 0.76 grams


Jerk Seasoning

You can make your own Jerk seasoning or purchase a ready made variety. Just make sure that if you use a ready made Jerk seasoning that you check the ingredient list. Some may contain sugar with will increase the carbohydrate count. If you are watching your sodium, you can omit the salt, from this recipe and simply adjust the seasoning of the sauce just before bottling. This recipe is my variation of the Jerk Seasoning that I originally found in a Helen Willinsky's cookbook 'Jerk: Barbecue From Jamaica'. Not only is this recipe an important part of this barbecue sauce, but you can use it as a seasoning on grilled meats and fish.

Jerk Seasoning (3 tablespoons)

1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon allspice, ground
1 teaspoon thyme, ground
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ground

Mix all ingredients in a small plastic container and store in your cupboard with all your other spices.

Total Recipe – Calories 44.5, protein 0.96 grams, fat 0.4 grams, 17.84 carbohydrates
Per Tablespoon – Calories 14.8, protein 0.32 grams, fat 0.13 grams, carbs 0.99 grams


Conclusion

One of the milestones in my life was meeting my soul mate and getting married on a beach in Jamaica. There were a lot of things we experienced on this trip that we will never forgot, one of those being the discovery of Jerk chicken. This fiery, delicious chicken marinated overnight and grilled over pimento wood served with a Jerk style barbecue sauce is simply delicious. Although we have been back to Jamaica several times, when I make Jerk chicken my mind is always flooded with memories of our first trip eleven years ago, and that's a good thing.

I have adapted this barbecue sauce recipe from my original recipe to be low carbohydrate high fat (LCHF) and keto friendly. I know this recipe will not have the same powerful memories for you that it has for us, but I hope that you and your family will enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. As always, we ask that if you have found this recipe informative and enjoyable please share it with your friends. Don't forget to follow use on our Facebook page 'CulinaryYouLCHF' or add us to your circle on Google+.


Other Related Articles On Our Blog:




References:

Willinsky, Helen, Jerk: Barbecue From Jamaica, The Crossing Press, CA, 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment