Monday, April 16, 2012

Schlotzsky's Original Sandwich


When I was in college in the mid 1980's, I spent many weekends in Austin, Texas and one of my favorites places to stop and eat was small sandwich shop called Schlotzsky's. The primary item on the menu was a muffuletta style sandwich called “the original”. At the time I had never had anything like it and it became one of my favorites. Fast forward to 30 years later and that small company now boasts more than 700 stores, still not everyone has access to a Schlotzsky's.

For many years, I did not have access to a local Schlotzsky's and learned to make my own version of their sandwich which I find most satisfying. Although there is now one within 60 miles of where I live, I still make my own on occasion. So if you are a fan of Schlotzsky's, or never even heard of them, now is your chance to make your own “original”. This recipe consists of making the garlic dressing, the bread and finally assembly of the sandwich.

Garlic Dressing

¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper

  • Mix all ingredients together and set aside. May refrigerate for later use.

Probably, the most ugly looking bread dough you will ever make.
The Bread

2 ½ cups bread flour
¾ cup warm milk
½ cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
1 ½ teaspoons warm water
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda

  • In a small container, mix the sugar, yeast, water and milk and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to bloom (become frothy). In another small container mix 1 ½ teaspoons of the warm water with the ¼ teaspoon baking soda.
  • While the yeast is blooming, take two 9-inch aluminum pie pans and spray with non-stick cooking spray and then coat each with cornmeal (approximately 1 tablespoon cornmeal per pan). Make sure to dust the sides as well as the bottom of the pans, then dump out any loose cornmeal in the sink.
  • Combine flour and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. Once the yeast mixture has become frothy, add to the flour mixture and beat with a spoon until well combined. The dough will be quite wet, thick and sticky. This is normal, check out the photos of how the dough should look. At this stage it is quite a gloopy mess, but it will proof just fine, I promise.
  • Spray the top of the dough with non-stick cooking spray and cover with a tea towel and let rise for 60 minutes.
  • Once the bread has proofed, preheat the oven to 375 degrees, spray the top of the dough with non-stick cooking spray or lightly mist with water and sprinkle sesame seeds on top and place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Allow the bread to cool for at least one hour before using.
Baked, cooled, and sliced. This bread is not so ugly anymore!
Sandwich Ingredients

1 9-inch muffuletta bread
2 ounces honey cured ham, sliced
1 ounce cotto salami, sliced
1 ounce Genoa salami, sliced
2 ½ ounces Cheddar, shredded
2 ½ ounces Mozzarella, shredded
½ ounce Parmesan, shredded
1 ounce pimento stuffed olives, chopped
½ ounce black olives, chopped
½ ounce yellow mustard
Lettuce, shredded
Tomatoes, sliced
Onion, sliced

  • Toss chopped olives with 1 tablespoon garlic dressing and set aside.
  • Spread the garlic dressing on both the top and bottom of the bun. Sprinkle the Parmesan and Cheddar cheeses on the bottom bun. Spread mustard on top of bun and then top with Mozzarella cheese. Then place buns in 350 degree oven and toast until the cheese is melted.
  • Heat the ham and salami's in a microwave until hot. Layer meats on bottom bun with ham on the bottom and the salami's on top of the ham. Then add marinated olives, tomato slices, onion slices and top with shredded lettuce. Add the top bun and slice and serve with your favorite potato chips.
The final product! This has no olives (I was out), and onions or tomatoes because I do not like them.
As you can see the finished sandwich not only looks delicious, but tastes delicious. It is one of my favorite sandwiches to make, and while it may take a few steps, the flavor is definitely work the time and effort that you put into it.


6 comments:

  1. Yummy!! Thanks for sharing, I’d like to try this! As a kid, I grew up having Schlotzky’s in Bemidji, MN but now the closest to me is Edina, MN (an hour away from where I now live). When visiting the Edina area, my friends are never up for going to a sandwich place, however nostalgic it may be to me 😂. This looks like a great alternative for me to get that craving fix! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have the recipe for the jalapeno cheddar bread. That's my favorite. The nearest Schlotzskys is more than 2 hours away. This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work there. Use this recipe. Just chop up jalapenos and add grated cheddar to the dough. That's literally all you add to the bread recipe.

      Delete
  3. Can you just toast the sandwich with the meat in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved their turkey sandwich! Do you have a recipe for it? We no longer have a Schlotzsky’s where I live. 😔

    ReplyDelete