Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Making Your Vegetable Stock For Free...




I may have mentioned in one of my earlier articles that one of the things that was drilled into my head many years ago during culinary school was that nothing goes to waste. In our kitchen, each time that my wife or I cut or prep vegetables, we save all the ends, pieces and peelings (carrot, zucchini, squash etc.) and they go into a one gallon zip lock bag and are placed in the freezer. When we get 1 – 2 bags full of ends and pieces I throw them in a large stockpot, and add enough water to cover the vegetables by two inches and bring to a boil. I then reduce the heat and simmer the vegetable pieces for 45 to 60 minutes, or I add them to the pressure cooker and process the vegetables for 30 minutes to get out all those great flavors and nutrients.

Then I strain the vegetable ends and pieces through a fine mesh strainer. Most of the time I keep the strained stock hot and can it in 1 quart mason jars. However, if you wish, you can cool the stock and then pour the stock into the freezer safe container of your choice. For this article I canned all the vegetable stock in 1 quart mason jars. Once the vegetables have been cooked and all the flavor and nutrients have been extracted, the veggies are then cooled and fed to our chickens.




The Recipe

There are a couple of different ways to make vegetable stock. I use to simmer it on my stove top for 1 – 2 hours, but now I pressure cook the vegetables and then can them in my pressure canner. For small batches (1-2 gallon bags of ends and pieces) I cook the vegetables in my electric pressure cooker. For this article I had three 1 gallon zip lock bags of vegetable pieces so I pressured them at 10psi for 30 minutes in one of my two Mirro Matic 23 quart pressure cookers. Because I had such a large batch of veggies it was simply easier and faster for me that cook them in my large pressure canner. But by all means cook your stock however you are most comfortable.




Vegetable Broth

3 gallons of mixed vegetables pieces (3, 1-gallon bags)
2 gallons of water
2 teaspoons salt (optional)
¼ teaspoon black peppercorns (optional)

Combine all ingredients into your stockpot or pressure cooker and cook thoroughly. If you are using a stockpot, then cook the vegetables for 1 to 2 hours, if using your pressure cooker, cook them on 10PSI for 30 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and strain out the solids.

If you are going to freeze the stock, allow it to cool completely. Fill the container of your choice about 75% full, as the liquid will expand as it freezes, and place in your freezer until needed. If you want to can your vegetable stock, then follow proper canning procedures and can pints for 20 minutes at 10PSI or 25 minutes at 10PSI for quarts. I am not going to go into the step-by-step procedure for canning in this article, but you can find such instructions is my article 'Canning Basics: A Step-By-Step Guide'.

Chef's Note: I realize the ingredient list for this recipe is not in exact quantities, but a good starting ratio would be 3 quarts of liquid for every 1 gallon bag of ends and pieces. Usually, I just fill my pot about two inches above the vegetables and get good results.




Storing Or Preserving Your Stock

If you are not going to use your stock right away, you need to find a proper way to store it as it is only good in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. So you have a couple of decisions to make, when I have small amounts of stock and I do not want to tie up my canning jars I pour the stock in 20oz Gatorade or 2-liter soft drink bottles and place them in the freezer. Just remember that liquid expands when it freezes so if you decide to freeze your soup stock only fill the bottles about 75% full. If you have a vacuum sealer, you can freeze your stock in small containers, then once it is fully hardened take it out of the container and vacuum seal your blocks of stock.

Most of the time I prefer to can my stocks and soup bases. Fortunately, I have the storage space and the equipment to do so, but I understand not everyone does. The added advantage to canning my stock is that it does not take up precious space in my freezer and the stock is shelf stable until opened. You will need to use your pressure canner as stocks are a low-acid food and all low acids foods must be pressure canned to make sure they are safe for you and your family.


Pressure Canning Your Vegetable Stock

By this point you have done all of the complicated stuff, now comes the easy part. One at a time, ladle your hot stock into your sterilized jars leaving 1-inch of head space. Then, wipe the rim of the jar with a damp clean paper towel. Place the heated lid on the jar then hand tighten the ring and using your tongs, place the jar in the simmering pressure canner. Repeat this process until your canner is full, then place the lid on the canner and process at the USDA recommended time and pressure (see below).

Chef's Note: The USDA does not give a specific time for processing vegetable both, but does give times for meat broth 20 minuted for pints, 25 for quarts. I have used the same processing time as recommended for vegetable soups 60 minutes for pints and 75 minutes for quarts. I realize the time may be longer than necessary, but it will not hurt your vegetable stock. I have included the recommended times per the Ball Blue Book of Preserving below, the recommended time is quite a bit shorter, but I process all my soups and stocks for longer than recommended.

If you have more stock to process than your canner will hold, only fill enough jars to completely fill the canner. Once the first batch of stock has been processed and removed from the canner, check the water level in the canner and adjust it as necessary. Then fill additional jars with stock following the previous instructions and process the remaining stock. Continue to do this until all of your stock has been safely processed.

If per chance, you do not have enough jars of canned stock to fill the pressure canner (which happens to me all the time) Take empty jars filled with warm water without lids and add those to the canner to take up the empty space. These water filled jars will keep your precious bounty from falling over and possibly breaking during the pressure canning process. Remember to take care as the stock in the canning jars will be boiling and quite hot to touch.

USDA Recommended Processing Time In Dial Gauge Pressure Canner for Vegetable based Soups.

Pint Jars 60 minutes at 11lbs (0 – 1,000ft), 12lbs (2,001 – 4,000ft), 13lbs (4,001 – 6,000ft) and 14lbs (6,001 or greater).
Quart Jars 75 minutes at 11lbs (0 – 1,000ft), 12lbs (2,001 – 4,000ft), 13lbs (4,001 – 6,000ft) and 14lbs (6,001 or greater).

USDA Recommended Processing Time In Weighted Gauge Pressure Canner for Vegetable based Soups.

Pint Jars 60 minutes at 10lbs (0 – 1,000ft), 15lbs (greater than 1,001ft altitude).
Quart Jars 75 minutes at 10lbs (0 – 1,000ft), 15lbs (greater than 1,001ft altitude).




In my Ball Blue Book of Preserving (2011) it lists the following canning times for vegetable stock pints 30 minutes, and quarts 35 minutes at 10PSI of pressure.If you live at altitudes greater than 1000ft above sea level, Ball recommends that the increase the pressure to 15PSI and use the same recommended cooking time. As mentioned earlier, I process my stock for the same amount of time as my soups, if you have a lot of stock to process, then the recommended lower processing times as recommended by Ball will definitely same you some time.


Conclusion

Homemade soups and stews are an inexpensive way to feed your family. Making your own vegetable stock from leftover ends and pieces costs you absolutely nothing except the cost of the storage container. This stock can be the basis for many vegetarian meals and soups, it can be used to enhance other stocks, or as an additive to soups and stews to give them additional flavor, body and essential nutrients that your family will rave about. I find vegetable stock a really nice way to ramp up the flavor and nutritional component of all different types of beans as well. Remember if you are going to can vegetable stocks you need to pressure can them, no water baths allowed here!

If you are looking to find additional ways to stretch your food dollars, be sure and check out some of my other articles on the subject on our blog. And as always, if you have enjoyed this article, please share it with your friends and don't forget to send us a friend request on Facebook and Google+ so that you will not miss out on any of our new articles.


Additional Article On Our Blog:





Additional References On the Web:











No comments:

Post a Comment