Thursday, August 4, 2016

Choosing Your First Dehydrator


 
My first encounter with dehydrating foods was when we lived in Alaska during the 1970's. Drying meats and vegetables was a way of life for many of the people who lived in the state whose motto is “the last frontier.” For many locals fish and wild game were the primary things that were dried to supplement their winter stores. While we were stationed comfortably on an United States Air Force (USAF) base in which we were never in need of dried foods. The wildlife and fish stocks were so plentiful that many of us learned to dry fish and meats because that was simply the Alaska way. Or at least that is how I remembered it.

Needless to say, I have been dehydrating fruits and vegetables for along time and have gone through a variety of different dehydrators. Some of the first commercially produced dehydrators for home consumption were of the small round plastic variety that had a single heating element in the bottom and you adjusted a small vent on the top of the cover to regulate the heat. This was a basic no frills dehydrator, with no real way to regulate the temperature, it was pure trial and error. It would however work and I made more than my share of jerky on this type of dehydrator. I actually still have one in my shop (Ronco brand), but it is regulated to drying my pistol and rifle brass after it has been wet tumbled for reloading. I bought it for $3.00 at my local Goodwill store specifically for drying my brass. I am not sure if they still make these cheap single element dehydrators, but my advice is to avoid them at all possible costs. They are hard to clean, have a steep learning curve, and produce inconsistently.

This article is only going to cover fan mounted stackable type dehydrators. I have never used the rigid box type of dehydrators which have removable 'slide-in' trays. These rigid non-stackable type of dehydrators tend to cost twice that of stackable tray type dehydrators. Many people make the mistake of purchasing an expensive dehydrator, use it once or twice and then it sits in the garage to become next years garage sale item. Therefore, I do not recommend them as your first dehydrator. Buy one later if you like, but my recommendation is that you try a more modest costing stackable tray type dehydrator. You can always add more trays or accessories to a less expensive model as needed or simply buy a nicer dehydrator later if you so desire.


What To Look For In A Dehydrator

There are a variety of good dehydrators on the market and you do not have to break the bank to purchase one. No matter the brand, there are a few things that you should look for. One of the most important features in my personal opinion is that it has to have a fan to circulate the warm air as good air circulation is essential to getting a even dehydration throughout the unit. I have read some reviews that indicate that you need to rotate your trays during the process to get even drying, but I have never found that to be the case with units that have a fan for air circulation. It does not matter whether the fan is on the top or the bottom. I have two dehydrators (Nesco and L'Equip) one has a top mounted fan, and the other a bottom mounted fan. There is a differing of opinion on which is better, but I have found them both to perform about the same.

Another thing that you should look for is variable temperature control. Although I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the temperature dial on stackable home dehydrators, it is a nice to have one. Does my Nesco dehydrator actually heat to 135 degrees when I have it set to that? I am not sure, but if I had to guess I would say it would probably be somewhere within 10 degrees. Another thing to consider is are the trays dishwasher safe. Dishwasher safe trays is definitely a big bonus.


My Dehydrators

As I mentioned I have two dehydrators and I use them both. I change between the two depending on they type of food I am dehydrating. They both have fans, one mounted on the top and the other the bottom, and they both can stack up to 12 trays, however the most I have ever used is 6 trays.


Nesco FD-60 American Harvest Snackmaster Express
Power: 500W, Round Trays: 4, Temperature Range: 95 – 155 degrees

This was the first dehydrator that I purchased that had a fan. I have had the Snackmaster Express for about 15 years and it is still going strong. It has a top mounted fan, a decent temperature dial and it has 4 (1.125 square foot) round stackable trays. Although I have dried many different types of foods in this dehydrator, it is the only one in which I will make jerky simply because I do not have to worry about any liquid falling into the fan since it is on the top of the dehydrator. If you have read any of the articles on our blog regarding making beef jerky, this is the dehydrator you will see in those pictures.



While the open spaces on the supplied trays allow maximum air flow, they can be a little large and smaller vegetables and fruits when dried can fall through to the next tray on the bottom of the unit. Because the bottom of the unit is solid this is not a problem, I simply dump any thing that has fallen to they bottom out onto a paper plate, no muss, no fuss. You can buy small round 'Clean-A-Screen' mesh screens for $6.95 for two to keep smaller dried items from falling though (these come standard with the L'Equip). Additional trays can be purchased for $14.95 for two. The 500 watts means that it has a lot of drying power and it is expandable to a maximum of 12 trays. There is no on/off switch, just plug it in and it starts. The Nesco comes with a 1 year limited warranty.

Nesco still makes this model which in my opinion means that is it s pretty good performer. You can currently find it for about $55.75 on the Wal-Mart website, and on Amazon. It would be nice if it came with 6 trays, but I personally think this is a great first dehydrator, and if I ever find another on any of my garage sale excursions I will be sure to buy it.


L'Equip 528
Power: 500W, Rectangular Trays: 6, Temperature Range: 95 – 158 degrees

Out latest dehydrator, the L'Equip is a rectangular shaped dehydrator with the fan mounted in the bottom of the unit. The temperature gauge is basic with only three labeled temperature ranges 95, 125, and 158. There are of course gradation or 'marks' on the dial that appear to be increments of 5 degrees for each one. So for example three marks past 125 degrees would be 140 degrees, three marks below 125 degrees would be 110 degrees. Not a deal breaker, but I like the dial on my Nesco better.



The L'Equip comes with 6 rectangular (1.2 square foot) trays and while the holes in the trays are about the same size as the Nesco, each tray for the L'Equip comes with a small flexible insert that has smaller holes for dehydrating smaller cut vegetables which is a nice feature. In addition, I think the rectangular trays are a little more efficient space wise for drying foods although they have almost the same drying capacity per tray as the Nesco. The L'Equip comes with a 10 year limited warranty.

The L'Equip is definitely a nice dehydrator and is expandable to a maximum of 12 trays as is the Nesco. It is also 500 watts which means that it has a lot of drying power as well, and it has an on/off switch. The L'Equip 528 sells for $119.00 on Amazon as well as a variety of other vender's on the internet.


Cost Comparison

So before you make any decisions regarding these two dehydrators, we need to compare apples to apples. The Nesco is definitely cheaper (base price $55.75) but to expand it to six trays like the L'Equip we need to purchase two additional trays for $14.95 increasing the price to $70.70. The L'Equip comes with 6 small flexible inserts to make the holes on the tray smaller. So we need to purchase 6 'Clean-A-Screen' inserts for the Nesco at $6.95 a pair for a total of $20.85, making the total cost of the Nesco $91.55.

Nesco FD-60 American Harvest Snackmaster Express (Total Cost $91.55)
Power: 500W, Round Trays: 6 with 6 'Clean-A-Screen' inserts
Temperature Range: 95 – 155 degrees
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty

L'Equip 528 (Total Cost $119.00)
Power: 500W, Rectangular Trays: 6 with small screen inserts
Temperature Range: 95 – 158 degrees
Warranty: 10 year limited warranty

So at this point the two dehydrators are point for point equal, the only difference is the warranty. The cost difference at this configuration is a difference of $27.45 in favor of the Nesco making it 23% cheaper than the L'Equip. However the L'Equip has a better warranty.

I like both of the dehydrators a lot and we use them both frequently. I wish the L'Equip had a top mounted fan as I have had more than once had a few dried vegetables drop into the fan in the center column. I wish the Nesco came standard with the 'Clean-A-Screen' screens, but it does not, and I have not found this to be a problem. In fact, until we got the L'Equip, we never even knew this to be an option.


Conclusion

Based on my experiences with both of these dehydrators, if I had to make a recommendation between the two (Nesco Snackmaster and the L'Equip 528) to someone who was buying their first dehydrator, I would have to recommend the Nesco simply because of the initial purchase price of $55.75. I realize at this price, the Nesco does not have all of the features of the L'Equip, but the initial investment is 53% cheaper (55.75 / 119.00 = 0.468), and you can always expand the number of trays as the need arises. I have been using my Nesco as I stated for 15 years and still only have the four original trays, and it has more than outlived either of the two machines warranties.

The bottom line, I like my L'Equip, and if money was not a problem, I would choose the L'Equip. Having said that, if I had to choose only one I would buy the snackmaster for two reasons, 1) because of the lower initial investment, and 2 ) simply because I make a lot of jerky and think it is a better dehydrator for that particular application. Therefore, if you are looking to purchase your first dehydrator and you are on a budget you cannot go wrong purchasing a Nesco Snackmaster FD60. As always, if you have enjoyed this article, please share it with your friends and don't forget to send us a friend request on Facebook and Google+ so that you will not miss out on any of our new articles.


Other Related Articles On Our Blog:








No comments:

Post a Comment